Thursday, October 8, 2020

I May Be Wrong

When I meet people who say,
"Oh, there's no hope, Peter,
look at the things that are going wrong,
and those stupid people in Bosnia,
there are going to be things like that all around the world,
power-hungry people say I know how to handle this,
just give me the bomb. There's no hope."

But I say to them,
"Did you ever think that our great Watergate president
would leave office the way he did?"
"No, I guess I didn't think that."
I said, "Did you think that the Berlin Wall
would come down so peacefully?"
"No, I didn't think that would happen.
"Did you think Mandela would be president of South Africa?"
"No, I didn't predict that."
"Well, if you couldn't predict those three things,
then don't be so confident that there's no hope." 

And I give them a bumper sticker. It says,
"There's No Hope, But I May Be Wrong."

                   Pete Seeger





No comments:

Post a Comment