Sunday, May 8, 2022

For my mother

I grew up watching you
And made up my mind early to be like you.
I was going to know everything about people, books, and life.
I was going to do things right.
I was going to go places.
I was going to know things --
Life most of all.
As sure as I was of you,
I was going to be that sure of myself.
Well I’m not sure of much of anything anymore,
Except a few things I learned from watching you.
That the world doesn’t owe you anything.
That water is a precious commodity.
That even if you don’t make your bed every day, you still have to lie in it.
That if you want to dance, you have to pay the fiddler.
That people are more important than things.
That poverty isn’t shameful, but arrogance is.
That almost anything you dislike in someone else you will find in yourself.
That it’s easy to be right, but it’s harder to be sure.
That a smile and good manners are your passport to the best places in the world;
And when you get there, it will remind you of home.
See, I was paying attention.
I still am.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment