Thursday, February 11, 2021

A feast of Julia

I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate.

The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook.

This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook – try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!

The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude.

If you're afraid of butter, use cream.

How can a nation be called great if its bread tastes like Kleenex?

Always start out with a larger pot than what you think you need.

I believe in red meat. I've often said: red meat and gin.

It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it.

Always remember: If you're alone in the kitchen and you drop the lamb, you can always just pick it up. Who's going to know?

Life itself is the proper binge.

People who love to eat are always the best people.

Nothing is too much trouble if it turns out the way it should.

Remember, 'No one's more important than people'! In other words, friendship is the most important thing--not career or housework, or one's fatigue--and it needs to be tended and nurtured.

My, I get so depressed after a poor meal; that's why I can never stay in England for more than a week.

There are only four great arts: music, painting, sculpture, and ornamental pastry – architecture being perhaps the least banal derivative of the latter.

Drama is very important in life: You have to come on with a bang. You never want to go out with a whimper. Everything can have drama if it's done right. Even a pancake.

You'll never know everything about anything, especially something you love.

You are the butter to my bread, and the breath to my life

I think careful cooking is love, don't you? The loveliest thing you can cook for someone who's close to you is about as nice a Valentine as you can give.

I think every woman should have a blowtorch. 

         Julia Child
         Television premier of The French Chef, February 11, 1963

 

 

 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment