Saturday, January 30, 2021

The Mission of Non-violence

This is no appeal made by a man
who does not know his business.
I have been practising with scientific precision
non-violence and its possibilities
for an unbroken period of over fifty years.
I have applied it in every walk of life,
domestic, institutional, economic and political.
I know of no single case in which it has failed.
Where it has seemed sometimes to have failed,
I have ascribed it to my imperfections.
I claim no perfection for my self.
But I do claim to be a passionate seeker after Truth,
which is but another name for God.
In the course of the search
the discovery of non-violence came to me.
Its spread is my life-mission.
I have no interest in living
except for the prosecution of that mission.

           Mahatma Gandhi, open letter "To Every Briton" 1940

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment