Thursday, May 28, 2020

The predicament of being alive

The talk at dinner was not very good. 
Returned to my room lonely and scared. 
I just wanted to weep. 
Got into bed, said I would live another day, and here I am. 
I will not give up.
I will not give up on my book, my son, on all those people I love 
and who love me. 
I have work to do. 
I still have a whole life to live. 
I will not give up. 
God, my God, teach me to be patient as I have already learned to be firm. 
My real time is yet to come. 
God, my God, there is nothing to do with this life but to think, to understand, 
to be aware –to love the predicament of being alive. 
No miracles please,
no shortcuts,
no violations of the human connection,
no anger at people for disappointing you,
no disappointment with them for being only themselves,
as you wish for nothing so much in this life as to be yourself!
                        Alfred Kazin, A Lifetime Burning in Every Moment



No comments:

Post a Comment